Responsibility for sustainability
Our CR strategy: Think globally, act locally
With our various initiatives and projects, we want to do our part toward tackling the social challenges of the future. This is an ambitious goal – and one we can only reach together with our employees, our customers and the public. The Values and Guidelines of Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA outline the values that guide us and the principles we are bound to for lawful and ethical business practices.
As an international company with more than 300 locations worldwide, our involvement in local programs is especially important to us. We strongly believe that we can achieve the most when we are aware of what is happening around us. We encourage our employees to get involved in their communities and support local aid initiatives.
CR at Arvato: Facts and figures at a glance
Did you know that nine Arvato companies are now FSC-certified and that Arvato Systems and Arvato CRM Solutions were distinguished as "TOP employers" in 2014?
In addition to our own projects and initiatives, we also promote issues that we feel strongly about through our membership in numerous organizations and initiatives. The following is an overview of our memberships, certifications and awards. Our environmental reports and guidelines are also available to download here, along with other relevant documents.
- German Association of Environmental Management (B.A.U.M. e.V.) and the Initiative Pro Recycling Papier (an initiative that promotes the use of recycled paper)
- Umweltinitiative der Ostwestfälischen Wirtschaft (an environmental initiative launched by businesses based in the German region of East Westphalia)
- Bundesverband Kraft-Wärme-Kopplung
- WWF Wood Group
- Arvato Systems and Mohn Media are active members of LEEN (Learning Energy Efficiency Networks) throughout Germany
- Environmental Foundation of the Economy in East Westphalia and the Union of Environmental Conservation Officers
- Bundesverband Audiovisueller Medien e.V. (BVV)
- Betriebsbeauftragten für Umweltschutz e.V. (VBU)
- Association Internationale des Bibliothéques (AIBM)
- International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives (IASA)
- Bundesverband für Musikindustrie (BVMI)
- Media Tech Association (MEDIA TECH)
- Verein für Medieninformation und Mediendokumentation (VFM)
- International Federation of Television Archives (FIAT/IFTA)
- DVD Copy Control Association
- Forschungsgesellschaft Druck e.V./ Graphic Technology Research Association (FOGRA)
- Fachverband Faltschachtel Industrie (FFI)
- ClimatePartner Certification (CO2 neutrality)
- Imprim’vert (environmental certification of the French printing association P2i)
- SMETA 4-Pillar
- ISO 9001
- ISO 14001
- ISO/IEC 27001
- ISO 50001
- PSO/ISO 12647-2
- Credit Services Association (CSA)
- International Standard on Assurance Engagements (ISAE) No. 3402 Type II
- Data Security Standards (PCI DSS) Level I
- Office of Fair Trading (OFT)
- Data Protection Act (DPA)
- Customer Service Excellence, Customer Services (with client Sefton)
- Customer Service Excellence, Revenues and Benefits (with client Sefton)
- Two Ticks (disability symbol)
- Investors in People (IIP)
- Mohn Media
- Mohn Media France
- GGP Media
- Vogel Druck und Medienservice
Committed to protecting the environment and resources
Environmental protection and the sustainable use of energy play a key role in our company. In all business units, we strive to handle our resources carefully and make efficient use of energy. We also consider it essential to promote our employees’ awareness of the importance of environment and resource preservation by providing them with relevant training in this area. The following is an overview of our green initiatives and service solutions.
We see ourselves as a part and partner of the society we live in. As a company with many locations worldwide, we recognize the importance of providing rapid assistance at the local level – right where it’s needed and without unnecessary red tape.
Promoting education and media literacy
Many of our services are relevant to the fields of education, media literacy and digitalization. We want to use our skills and experience in these areas to make a contribution to society. One way we are doing this is through special initiatives for young people. Children should learn to make sensible use of the Internet, mobile technology and media – and this is best learned in an interactive way. That’s why we’re involved in creating a protected online surfing space for children. We also support the newspaper project “Klasse!” aimed at improving young people’s reading and writing skills.
Providing rapid disaster relief
Having learned of the the major earthquake and tsunami in Japan, flooding in Southeast Asia, or famine in Africa, we know that natural catastrophes shock the world, again and again. Such events often have devastating consequences for those affected by them, especially in less-affluent regions. We’ve made it our business to provide quick relief without unnecessary red tape.
Working together for a better world
Arvato has more than 70,000 employees across the globe who are contributing to the company’s success every day. Our values include open communication, cooperation, social responsibility, and partnership. As varied as our business units may be, we have a history that unites us, a common attitude we adopt, and a uniform strategy we pursue – as a team.
Only together as a team can we achieve great things. And that’s why we encourage our employees to get involved. Our junior executives, for instance, are given an early glimpse into what it means to assume responsibility. The following pages introduce you to some of the fantastic aid initiatives many of our employees are involved in – some with a high level of personal commitment.